Monday, March 16, 2020

A Note from Mrs. Parnell

March 16, 2020
Hi Parents- 


On Saturday, I had posted on the blog a communication about staying in touch
with families and I mentioned that Liam the leprechaun had been visiting Room
101 and he had already left a few treasures for Room 101 students. Liam’s favorite
day is tomorrow, St. Patrick’s Day (March 17th), and he usually leaves students
another treasure. We will not be in school tomorrow, but I am planning on dropping
off a goody bag from Liam. I HOPE to be as stealthy as a leprechaun and just leave
a plastic bag hanging on your front door in the morning. (Please be sure to retrieve the bag!) 


Remember I love to share about our students on our blog, so if your child likes their
surprise goody bag, please send me a picture. I really want to maintain our class
community connections and since we are not with each other in person, sharing
pictures will allow us to “see” each other. 


Since I will be stopping by anyway, I thought I would include the optional resources
I have put together for your child to explore and hopefully enjoy. There is a cover letter
included but if you have questions please let me know. I will be checking my email
daily. We will also make every effort to post to the blog often.


A couple pages have been added to our class blog.  See the tabs at the
top- While We are Away. I will post  photos of our classmates sharing what they are
doing here. The other new tab is called Activities To Do While Away From School-
this tab will give parents resources to access while students are away from school. 


In an effort to keep abreast of current information with Burlington Schools I suggest
you go to this link to subscribe and receive updates as posted.  


Included the folder are St. Patrick Day themed work/decorations your child created
at school including a book they had been working on, Leaping Leprechaun’s Where
Are They Now? and a little book Have You Seen My Pot of Gold?  We had planned
to read these books together. Below is a picture of how we would have read and
highlighted the Leaping Leprechaun’s book. The leprechaun book contains
positional words. We would have highlighted the positional word in the text, wrote
the word at the top of the page (lowercase letters only) and then we would have used
one of the leprechaun coins and a pot (Cauldron) to show the positional word in the
environment. So if the positional word was on, the students would hold the coin on the
pot, if it was beside, the coin would go beside the pot, etc. If you have your child read
the book you can send me a picture of them working on the book or maybe even a
video of them reading it!




Also in the folder is a shamrock subtraction page. I included a dice and the directions
would be to roll the dice two times, put the larger number in the first shamrock and the
smaller number in the second shamrock then add the subtraction sign and equal sign
and answer the equation. If you have a dice at home, you could have your child roll
both dice for the first number and roll one dice for the second number, then set up the
equation or number sentence. I drew a picture underneath the shamrocks to show my thinking.




Finally, I am still more than happy to participate in a telephone conference about
your child.  All students are making progress and we have been proud of their efforts
in the classroom. These conferences are, like the work being dropped off, optional.
Please email me if you desire to converse and we will establish an agreed upon time
for me to call you.


I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy and I hope to see you all soon.


Sincerely,

Melissa Parnell

No comments:

Post a Comment